Thermal Paper

thermal printing

Thermal paper is available in about 30-40 varieties. The reason for this is that thermal paper is specifically coated so that the heat in the printer equipment’s print head creates an image and is matched to the exact thermal paper required. As can be expected, the better the image required, the more expensive the paper. Thermal paper is used in equipment where cleanliness, speed, and low noise are necessary.

Due to the growing concern over the potential human health effect of exposure to bisphenol A (BPA), we only use BPA free thermal paper. We can provide you with literature explaining about BPA.

Bond Paper

There are two grades of bond paper. One is commonly referred to as “low bulk” and the other is “high bulk.” Low bulk is the cleanest, whitest, most “lint-free” paper available. It is noted for its strength, long life, retention of image and resists fading. High bulk is a thicker caliper of paper, not quite as white as low bulk and yields less footage on the same diameter roll.

Carbonless Paper

how carbonless paper works

Carbonless paper, introduced in 1954, is generally known as NCR (no carbon required) paper. It is a bond paper type and has a coating (small encapsulated chemical capsules) on the back and/or front of the paper that creates an image without the use of carbon paper.

In a two-ply roll, the top ply is coated on the back and the second ply is coated on its face. In a three-ply roll, the first ply is coated on the back, the middle ply is coated on its face and back, and the bottom ply is coated on its face. When these plies are compressed, such as from the print keys on a cash register, the coatings react and create an image on the second and third ply. The ribbon in the cash register creates an image on the first ply.

Self Contained Paper

The self-contained paper is a form of carbonless and works on the same premise as carbonless, but it does not need a ribbon to create an image on the top ply. The secondary plies create an image from the pressure of the print unit alone.


Cores for paper rolls

The core, or center tube, is used to wind the paper. In some pieces of equipment, a metal flange is inserted in the core and moves the paper forward when a transaction is created. On these occasions, the core diameter is very critical. Other types of equipment have a cradle or cavity that is used to “house” the roll. In these instances, the paper is pulled into the printer by friction and the core does not serve any mechanical purpose. Some cores are made of plastic, while others are made of paper fibers and are recyclable.

Have a question or still not sure which type of paper rolls to use, you can contact us by email:, our professional paper roll expert will always be glad to help you.